Google Ads is a powerful tool to help businesses reach new customers and grow their business. However, with so many different types of Google Ads campaigns, knowing which is best suited for your business can be challenging. This blog post will provide a comprehensive guide to the different types of ads, so you can make an informed decision about which is right for your business.
- 1 What is Google Ads?
- 2 Type of Google Ads Campaign Available in 2022
- 3 1. Search campaigns: target people searching for your products
- 4 2. Google Display campaigns: raise brand awareness
- 5 3. Google Video ad campaigns: target audiences on YouTube
- 6 4. Google Shopping campaigns: promote products to audiences who are ready to buy
- 7 5. Google App campaigns: drive app installs and engagement
- 8 6. Google Local campaigns: promote a physical location
- 9 7. Google Remarketing Ads: Show ads to past visitors
- 10 How can you decide which type of Google Ads is right for your business or website?
- 11 Conclusion
What is Google Ads?
Google Ads is a platform where businesses can pay to display short ads, product listings, service offerings, and video content to internet users. These advertisements also generate mobile application installs within the Google ad network.
Google Ads has evolved into Google’s main advertising product and allows advertisers to target searchers with text, image, and video ads. Google Ads operates on a pay-per-click (PPC) model, in which advertisers bid on the keywords they believe their target market would search for. When those keywords are typed into Google, the advertiser’s ad appears above or below the search results.
The Google Ads platform was initially launched in 2000 as Google AdWords. In 2018, Google rebranded its advertising products as Google Ads. The new Google Ads platform includes features that allow businesses to measure and optimise their campaigns more effectively.
Google Ads is an effective way to reach out to potential customers and promote your products or services. When used correctly, Google Ads can be a powerful tool to grow your business.
Type of Google Ads Campaign Available in 2022
Here are the types of Google Ads campaigns that are available in 2022:
1. Search campaigns: target people searching for your products
Google Search ads are paid advertising that allows you to place your ads on Google.com and its partner websites. Search ads are displayed to users when they enter relevant keywords into the Google search engine.
Google Search ads effectively target potential customers actively searching for products or services you offer. When someone enters a relevant keyword into the search engine, your ad may be displayed at the top of the search results page.
What are Google Search ads best for?
Google Search ads are some of the most popular and effective. They are best for businesses targeting people actively searching for their products or services online.
Responsive Search ads
Responsive Search ads are a newer type of ad that Google introduced in 2017. They are designed to be more flexible and adaptable than traditional text ads and can include up to multiple headlines and descriptions.
Google will automatically test different combinations of your headlines and descriptions to see what performs best, so you don’t have to worry about creating separate ads for each potential combination. Responsive Search ads can be a great option if you want to create ads that are more likely to be relevant to your potential customers and don’t want to spend time creating multiple ads.
Branded Search ads
When you want potential customers to see your brand name alongside relevant search results, you can create branded search ads. These types of ads can be helpful when customers are already familiar with your brand or if you want to increase brand awareness.
Branded search ads are also sometimes called brand name ads or brand ads. They typically appear above or below search results on Google.com and can be seen on other Google properties, like Google Maps.
To create branded search ads, you’ll need to add your brand name as a keyword in your Google Ads account. You can also add related keywords to your campaign, which can help your ad appear for relevant searches.
When creating branded search ads, it’s essential to consider your ad text and image. Your ad text should be clear and concise, and your image should be relevant and eye-catching.
Google Call-Only ads are a type of Google Search ad that allows customers to call your business directly from the ad without having to click through to your website. These ads are best for companies that want to encourage phone calls as their primary conversion goal, and they can be a great way to increase leads and sales.
There are several benefits of using Google Call-Only ads, including:
- Increased leads and sales: By making it easy for customers to call your business directly from the ad, you can increase the number of leads and sales you generate.
- Lower cost-per-lead: Since customers are calling your business directly, you can avoid paying for website clicks that may not result in a sale or lead.
- Better customer service: Customers can get the contact info quickly and easily without searching for your phone number on your website.
There are a few drawbacks to using Google Call-Only ads, including:
- You can only track calls, not website clicks: Since customers are calling your business directly from the ad, you won’t be able to track how many websites clicks you’re getting from your ad.
- You may have to pay for calls that don’t result in a sale: If you’re paying for calls on a per-call basis, you may have to pay for calls that don’t result in a sale or lead.
- You need to have a good call script: If you want your callers to have a positive experience, you need to have a good call script that covers all the essential information.
2. Google Display campaigns: raise brand awareness
Google Display Ads is online advertising that allows businesses to showcase their products and services to potential customers through banner ads, text ads, and other forms of creative content. Display ads are a great way to reach new customers and stay top-of-mind with existing customers.
Display ads are most effective when used to raise awareness of a new product or service or to promote a sale or special offer. They can also drive traffic to your website, lead to more sales and conversions, and help you build trust with potential customers.
Businesses must choose their target audience, budget, and ad format when creating a Display ad campaign. There are a variety of ad formats available, so it’s essential to select the one that best fits your goals and objectives.
The most common types of Google Display Ads are:
Google Display campaigns are a great way to increase brand awareness and reach new audiences. One type of Google Display ad is the Topics/Interest ad. This ad type targets users based on their interests, determined by their online activity.
For example, if you are a travel company, your Google Display ads could target users who search for travel-related keywords or visit travel-related websites.
Topics/Interest ads are a great way to reach new audiences who are likely to be interested in your products or services. They are also a great way to build brand awareness and reach users who might not be familiar with your brand.
Google Contextual Ads are one type of display ad served through the Google Display Network. Contextual Ads are targeted to web pages containing content related to the keywords you have specified. For example, if you sell pet supplies and have specified the keyword “dog food” as one of your targeting options, your ad may appear on a webpage containing an article about the best dog foods.
Google Contextual Ads use a technology called “AdSense”, which scans the content of webpages in real-time and serves ads relevant to the page’s content. The ad understands the context of webpages and matches ads to them.
Google Contextual Ads are a great way to reach potential customers who are already interested in your products or web pages. Because these ads are targeted to web pages containing relevant content, they are more likely to be seen by users who are already interested in your offer.
Managed placement ads
Managed placement ads are a type of Google Display ad that allows you to specifically target your ads to appear on websites that you choose in advance. This can be a great way to reach potential customers who are already interested in your offer. They are more likely to be receptive to your message when they see it in a context they are already familiar with.
One of the great things about managed placement ads is that you have much control over where your ads appear. You can hand-pick the websites you want your ads to appear on and even target specific pages or sections of websites. This allows you to fine-tune your targeting and ensure that your ads are seen by the most likely to be interested in them.
Another advantage of managed placement ads is that they can be a great way to build brand awareness. If you choose to have your ads appear on high-traffic websites that are relevant to your business, you can get your brand in front of many people very quickly. This can be a great way to attract new customers and grow your business.
If you are considering using Google Display ads to promote your business, then managed placement ads are worth considering. They offer many advantages and can be a great way to reach your target audience.
3. Google Video ad campaigns: target audiences on YouTube
Youtube ads are a great way to reach out to potential customers actively searching for products or services you offer. You can use YouTube ads to promote your brand, drive traffic to your website, or even generate leads.
- As the second largest search engine in the world, Youtube provides a massive opportunity for businesses to reach their target audiences. And with over 1 billion hours of videos being watched on the platform every day, there’s no doubt that Youtube ads are effective.
What are YouTube ads best for?
Youtube ads are perfect for businesses that want to raise awareness about their brand or product and drive traffic to their website or online store.
Here are some of the key benefits of running YouTube ads:
- You can reach a vast audience: There are over 2 billion active users on Youtube, which means that your ad has the potential to be seen by a vast number of people.
- You can target your audience: Youtube allows you to target your ads to a specific audience based on factors like age, gender, interests, and more. This ensures that your ad is seen by people most likely interested in what you’re selling.
- You can choose your ad format: There are several different ad formats to choose from on Youtube, including skippable and non-skippable in-stream ads, in-feed video ads, bumper ads, and video discovery ads. This allows you to select the ad format best suits your business goals.
- You can track your results: Youtube provides detailed analytics that allows you to track your ad’s performance and see how many people have seen it, how many have clicked on it, and more. This information can be used to improve your future ad campaigns.
As you can see, there are several benefits to running YouTube ads. So if you’re looking to raise awareness about your brand or product or drive traffic to your website, YouTube ads are a great option.
Types of YouTube Video ad formats
There are two types of YouTube Video ads:
- In-stream skippable ads are great for targeting a broad audience, as they can reach many people with this type of ad. However, you should remember that not everyone will watch the entire ad, as they can skip it after 5 seconds.
- Non-skippable ads are a great way to ensure that your ad is seen by those who view it, as they cannot skip the ad and must watch it until the end. This is an excellent option for those who want to target a specific audience and ensure they see the ad.
Types of YouTube Video ad formats
There are two formats as below:
- In-feed video ads appear in the main body of the Youtube feed alongside other videos. These ads can be up to 6 minutes long, and viewers can watch or skip the ad.
- Bumper ads are short, non-skippable ads that the viewer must watch before proceeding to the main video. These ads are typically 6 seconds or less long and are a great way to grab viewers’ attention.
- Video discovery ads are a type of ad that appears when potential customers are searching for videos on YouTube. These ads appear alongside the video results and can be up to 6 minutes long. Video discovery ads are a great way to reach potential customers actively searching for video content.
4. Google Shopping campaigns: promote products to audiences who are ready to buy
Google Shopping campaigns are a great way to promote products to audiences who are ready to buy. With these types of campaigns, businesses can showcase their consequences in various ways, including product shopping ads and showcase shopping ads. Companies can use Google Shopping ads to reach potential customers actively searching for products they are interested in purchasing.
Why choose Google Shopping ads?
There are a few key reasons why you might choose to use Google Shopping ads over other types of advertising:
- Shopping ads are highly targeted.
When someone searches for a product you sell, your Shopping ad will appear alongside the search results. This means that people who see your ad are already interested in what you’re selling, making them more likely to click through and buy something from you.
- Shopping ads are eye-catching.
Your Shopping ad will include an image of the product you’re promoting, the price and other important information. This makes your ad more visually appealing than a traditional text ad and can help you stand out from the competition.
- Shopping ads can help you increase your sales.
Because Shopping ads are so targeted and eye-catching, they can be an effective way to increase your sales. Google Shopping ads may be a good option if you’re looking for a way to boost your online revenue.
Types of Google Shopping ad formats
Product Shopping ads
Product Shopping ads are the most common type of Google Shopping ad. They are a great way to promote a specific product to audiences ready to buy.
Product Shopping ads are typically image-based and include essential information about the product, such as the price, name, and merchant.
Product Shopping ads can be used to promote both physical and digital products. They are a great way to increase traffic to your website or online store and can lead to increased sales.
Product Shopping ads are easy to set up and manage and can be a great way to promote your products to a broad audience.
Showcase Shopping ads
Google Showcase Shopping ads are a type of Google Shopping ad that allows you to showcase a selection of your products and your brand to potential customers. These ads are designed to catch the attention of users actively searching for the types of products you sell.
Showcase Shopping ads are comprised of the main image, up to 25 product images, your business name and logo, and a tagline. When a user clicks on your Showcase Shopping ad, they will be taken to a landing page on your website where they can browse through your featured products.
Showcase Shopping ads are a great way to promote a selection of your products to potential customers who are actively searching for what you sell. These ads are particularly effective if you have a large selection of products, as they allow you to showcase various products in one ad.
5. Google App campaigns: drive app installs and engagement
Google App campaigns are a type of advertising campaign that helps you promote your app to people who are likely to be interested in using it. These campaigns use text and image ads to reach potential users across Google’s properties, including Search, Gmail, YouTube, and the Google Display Network.
Google App campaigns are best for promoting mobile apps to people who are likely to be interested in using them. These campaigns can generate awareness of your app, encourage downloads, and drive in-app engagement.
How do Google App campaigns work?
Google App campaigns use text and image ads to reach potential users across Google’s network of properties. The ads are generated automatically based on your app’s name, description, icon, and target keywords. You can also choose to include a video ad in your campaign.
6. Google Local campaigns: promote a physical location
If you have a physical location that you want to promote, then a Google Local campaign is a great option. Local campaigns are designed to target people in a specific area and can be a great way to drive foot traffic to your business.
There are two main types of Local campaigns: Local Search ads and Local Inventory ads.
- Local Search ads appear when someone searches for a business like yours in a specific location. These ads include your business name, address, phone number, and a link to your website.
- Local Inventory ads appear when someone searches for a product you sell. These ads include information about your product and a link to your website or a product page on your website.
No matter your goals, Local campaigns can be a great way to promote your business to a specific audience. If you have a physical location, then Local Search ads can help you drive foot traffic. If you sell products online, then Local Inventory ads can help promote your products to people in your area.
7. Google Remarketing Ads: Show ads to past visitors
Google Remarketing Ads are a form of online advertising that allows you to show ads to past visitors of your website or app. These ads are designed to keep your brand top-of-mind with people who have already shown an interest in what you have to offer, and they can be a highly effective way to drive conversions and sales.
There are two main types of Google Remarketing Ads:
- Standard Remarketing Ads: These are the most basic type of remarketing ad, and they can be served to anyone who has visited your website or app in the past. Standard remarketing ads can be targeted using criteria such as the visited pages, the amount of time spent on the site, and whether or not a purchase was made.
- Dynamic Remarketing Ads: These are more sophisticated than standard remarketing ads, allowing you to show ads tailored to each user. Dynamic remarketing ads can be based on the products or services viewed on your site and can even be personalised with the user’s name and other information.
Google Remarketing Ads can be served on the Google Display Network, which includes millions of websites and apps where your ads can be seen. These ads can also be served on YouTube, and they can even be shown to people who are using Gmail.
How do Google Remarketing Ads work?
Google Remarketing Ads track the online behaviour of people who visit your website or app. When someone visits your site, a small code called a “cookie” is placed on their computer. This cookie helps track their online activity and allows Google to serve them remarketing ads in the future.
When you create a Google Remarketing Ads campaign, you’ll need to choose your target audience and the types of ads that you want to show them. You can also set a budget for your campaign and decide how long you want the ads to run.
Once your campaign runs, Google will serve your ads to people who have visited your site or app and meet your target criteria. These ads can be done on the Google Display Network, YouTube, and Gmail, and they can be highly effective in driving conversions and sales.
How can you decide which type of Google Ads is right for your business or website?
There’s no one-size-fits-all answer to this question – it all depends on your specific business goals and what you want to achieve with your Google Ads campaign.
If you’re looking to generate leads and sales, then Search Ads are probably your best bet. They allow you to target people actively searching for products or services like yours and are, therefore, more likely to be interested in what you offer.
Display Ads are more suited to raising awareness of your brand and building up a bit of ‘top of mind’ attention. They’re also great for targeting specific demographics or interests, as you can target your ads to people who have previously visited similar websites.
If you’re looking to generate downloads of your mobile app, then App Ads are the way to go. And finally, if you have a physical location that you want to promote, then Local Ads could be the answer.
The best way to figure out which type of Google Ads is right for your business is to experiment and test different campaigns to see what works best for you. Start with a small budget and scale up if you see positive results. And if you’re unsure where to start, our Google Ads agency experts can help you create and manage a campaign tailored to your specific goals.
So, what’s the best type of Google Ads campaign for your business? It depends on your goals. A search ad campaign might be the best option if you’re looking to drive traffic to your website. If you’re looking to raise awareness of your brand, a Display ad campaign might be a better fit. And if you’re looking to promote your app or drive sales, a Shopping or Local ad campaign might be the way to go.